Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzard, not the yummy kind

Wow, are we in the middle of a storm, or what? Here is an excerpt weather service storm warnings

"* TRAVEL...ROAD CONDITIONS WILL RAPIDLY DETERIORATE DURING THE MID TO
LATE AFTERNOON AS SNOW DEVELOPS FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ACROSS THE AREA.
TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BECOME TREACHEROUS BY LATE AFTERNOON...AND
DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS BY EARLY EVENING AS WINDS INCREASE RESULTING IN
WHITE OUT CONDITIONS. SNOWFALL RATES WILL BE SO INTENSE AT TIMES THAT
ROAD CREWS MAY BE UNABLE TO KEEP PRIMARY ROADS AND HIGHWAYS CLEARED.
UNNECESSARY TRAVEL SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS THIS AFTERNOON
THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AS MORE THAN HALF OF THE FATALITIES IN
PREVIOUS ILLINOIS BLIZZARDS HAVE OCCURRED AS A RESULT OF TRAFFIC
ACCIDENTS. BEFORE MAKING THE DECISION TO TRAVEL...CONSIDER IF GETTING
TO YOUR DESTINATION IS WORTH PUTTING YOUR LIFE AT RISK. "

I have been receiving alerts for years now and I have never seen one
issued in such strong terms. Usually they just advise you to do
things. This one was pretty strong. Pretty amazing. Anyway, so, how
it affects us. Basically, we just stay inside and play games. Well,
it's not too terribly cold so we can go outside. Just not on the
road. All flights have been canceled. Rob actually had one, cuz he
bought a truck in Texas. Most public services are canceled, including
the library, YMCA, and schools. Hopefully, we don't lose our power.

Since our house is located amidst a ton of trees, we're not actually seeing a lot of the wind. But, I know it's there, because I drove through some of it this morning, before the big storm started. It was drifting pretty badly on the country roads. Well, Rob just headed out into the storm to rescue Rondo. I don't know why he was out, but he got stuck, in a truck I'm assuming, so Rob is going to get a military truck from the shop. I don't know why they have one, but they do. So, now he's headed out there. It's 10:30pm. I don't like the looks of this. Rondo said that the drifts were above the guard rails. Ugh. I can expect to be up late worrying about Rob.

No comments:

To PRINT a picture, just click on the picture and a full size version will appear. Then, right click on it, and save to your computer.