Twas Christmas Day
by Natalie Ziegler
Twas Christmas Day, and all through the house,
all the creatures were stirring, except for the mouse.
The stockings were laying on the floor without care,
You see, St. Nicholas had already been there.
The children were all giddy, jumping on their beds
candy and junk food all went to their heads
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my sash,
Had just gotten up to take out the trash
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang to the door to see what was the matter.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
A manger surrounded by parents so dear.
With a wee little babe, so holy and mild,
I knew in a moment it must be the Christ child.
His mother turned to me, Mary was her name.
With tears in her eyes, she wasn't the same.
"It's His Birthday today, and no gifts have you brought."
She was right, I had completely forgot.
So busy was I, buying presents left and right
My kids had wanted Santa to come last night.
I staggered forward, my head in my hands.
To see the the new babe, Savior of all lands.
His eyes met mine. His face so kind.
and then these words came to my mind.
"That jolly old elf brought them a toy
But he cannot bring them lasting joy
The thought of presents make them good a few days
And then they'll go back to their old ways.
"The Christmas spirit spreads through the land
and everyone's willing to lend a helping hand.
Til Christmas is over, then back to work you go
and does the Christmas spirit stay, oh, No.
"What about the widows, and your other good deeds?
Is one night sufficient to satisfy their needs?
I give a gift, that changes the heart
Not just for the season, and then to depart.
"If my birthday was forgotten this Christmas Eve
Then please don't let this Christmas Day leave
without teaching your children and reminding yourself
Christmas is not about a jolly red elf.
"Santa’s just a symbol of One sent from above.
Give a gift better than presents, give the Gift of Love."
I thought on his words, as the vision closed from my view
With strengthened resolve, I knew what to do.
Next year for Christmas, Christ won't be forgot.
I'll give love all year long, in more than just thought.
I'll teach my children of His special Day.
And wish everyone a Merry Christmas, in Christ's loving way.
1 comment:
Beautiful, Natalie! I love this poem~ Thanks for the thoughtful share! Happy New Year, with love!
Post a Comment