Sunday, July 25, 2010

Flooding Again

Yesterday we had a flood scare again. This time, it rained torrents all night, so we had a flash flood problem. The creek on one side of the trailer court began pouring into the roadways, and the river on the other side began pouring into the yards. The water was filling in ten times as fast as the last scare, so I was in a rush to pack and get out.  About an hour after I left the house, to stay with a friend, the flash flooding stopped, and receded to a non-threatening amount.  When I returned later to take pictures, it wasn't near as high as when I had left.

 

This turned out much better than I hoped. Most of these pictures were taken while I was driving, so it was hard to stage a shot.

 

This is the gage on the river that best determines whether or not the flood will be bad. When I checked it at 3am, it was at the 2'6" mark. I like to call the black marks inches, though, I'm pretty sure that's not what they are. Anyway, It rose to this point, 3'0", by 6am, when I checked again. Last time it flooded, it rose only an "inch" an hour, but this time it had gone up 48 "inches" in three hours. It was still raising quickly when I left at 10am. I don't remember how high it got, but this is where it came back down to after the flash flooding part was over. The court is still flooded and the water level is still at this point, but, it is not high enough to prevent people from driving around and getting to their houses.

 

Here are my kids enjoying their new toy for the day.

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Nancy said...

It's so crazy how often it floods out there. And REALLY floods!

To PRINT a picture, just click on the picture and a full size version will appear. Then, right click on it, and save to your computer.