Monday, March 7, 2011

Flat on My Back

I haven't been on the computer much lately, because it hurt too much.  Well, now I can finally get back to work, sorta.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I hurt my back.  I wasn't lifting anything, or doing anything particularly strenuous.  I've actually had this problem since junior high.  I just bend over to tie my shoe, or something like that, and POP goes my back.  It puts me out for about three days, max, and then I'm done.  It happens only once every few years.  Well, this time was different.  I was doing a lot of diapers, and it slowly hurt more and more, until I was no longer able to move.  I felt a sharp pain shoot up and down my spine.  I must have either sprained it, or got a herniated disc, or something.  Soft tissue damage of some sort.  According to my research, doctors give you a pain killer and tell you to take it easy until it heals in six weeks, so I did just that.  It's gone now, and it's only been two weeks, so I guess it wasn't too extremely serious.  It sure scared me, though.  The first day, I had to have Rob pick me up to do my 'duties'.  The next day happened to be on President's Day, so all the kids were home.  I was able to get a babysitter for the little kids and baby, while the older boys took care of me.  I went to the chiropractor a couple of times, but I don't know how much good it actually did, since, sitting in the car hurt extremely, so, by the time I got back home, I hurt just as bad as when I left.  Same with massage.  I guess the chiropractor did give me some good ideas of how to shorten recovery time.  I iced it often, and slept with my legs propped up on a few huge pillows.  So, now that I know just how bad poor posture can affect your health, I am working extra hard at establishing a habit of doing my back exercises so I don't have to repeat this episode.   Ugh.

1 comment:

Alisha said...

So glad that you are feeling better! That would be really scary to me too!

To PRINT a picture, just click on the picture and a full size version will appear. Then, right click on it, and save to your computer.