Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Math Help


I was telling my brother, Douglas a few years ago, that I thought if we could make a movie teaching kids math, we'd be rich.  Well, I don't know if these guys are rich, but, I found a dvd that teaches math.  Supposedly, it's really fun and the kids really learn from it.  

http://www.mathtacular.com/categories/dvds/ 
examples on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAzUBMR7m2w&feature=player_embedded#!


There are also a lot of great FREE videos on youtube.  KhanAcademy, in particular, even shows calculus.  I don't know calculus, so I don't know if it's any good, but here's the link to his site, where you can choose from a million different subjects to learn. 
http://www.khanacademy.org/    Thought this info might be helpful to anyone who has kids struggling in math, or other subjects.  It also teaches things like science, history, and finance.  And you can get an app for it on the ipad. 

Also, if you want an easy way to keep your kids' brains in shape this summer, I'm using a program called, Time4Learning for Daniel's homeschool.  It's great for using during the summer to make sure the kids don't forget everything they learn.  It's all on the internet, at http://www.time4learning.com.  But, it's not free.  It's $20/mo for one child.  $15/mo for each extra child.  It's really fun, and keeps track of their progress, and they can do it all on their own.  I just tell Daniel to do three lessons in math, and three lessons in reading, and he's good to go.  If you do decide to use this program, I get a voucher for referring you, so make sure you put me down as the referrer.  (they do K-12)  Oh, by the way, this program is addicting.  Mary is always begging to play it, so I put her on Daniel's easiest level, and she loves it.

I forgot to tell about a cool ipod/ipad app called "Fast Facts"  I use the multiplication one, but it also does division and add and subtract.  Division and multiplication are free.  It basically teaches times tables, but, it gives you a choice of which number to do, for instance, Robbie was learning 7's in school, so I set it to only do the sevens.  You can mix and match too, for the ones they struggle with.  Then, they can email you their results, so you can keep track of their progress.  Also, it gives you two options of answering the questions.  You can do multiple choice, or just type in the answer.  

Good luck.  Making sure your kids do well in school, is a very very stressful job.  Hope this helps.

No comments:

To PRINT a picture, just click on the picture and a full size version will appear. Then, right click on it, and save to your computer.